I spent this weekend at the Texas Tribune Festival, which is basically a music festival with politicians instead of bands. Tribune Fest was chock full of major players in Texas politics and, let me tell ya, I was in heaven! Here’s my list of the 15 best (and worst) moments from the weekend, in mostly chronological order:
- When Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott tried to convince everyone that the Affordable Care Act is the product of voter fraud, and the crowd laughed at him.
- When Lt. Governor David Dewhurst said “Texas is going to turn blue over my dead, cold, bloated butt.”
- When David Dewhurst busted out his 8th grade Spanish (“Yo sabo…el gobern…seguridad por el futuro”) and everyone was confused.
- When David Dewhurst said “We already have universal healthcare, it’s called the Emergency Room.” and the crowd laughed at him.
- When David Dewhurst decided that 5 months is plenty of time for a woman to decide what to do with her pregnancy, but has never been pregnant himself. When Texas Rep. Sarah Davis rolled her eyes every time Rep. Donna Campbell answered a question with “I am a physician…”
- When a lady in the audience recommended humanely sucking fetuses out of women and growing them in artificial uterueses as a middle ground in the abortion debate.
- When a Republican turned out to be the voice of reason on the Women’s Health Panel (Sarah Davis, you are amazing! Preach!)
- When Donna Campbell said there is nothing in the legislation that would shut down women’s health facilities and I was part of the unruly mob for the few seconds before the next question.
- When Texas Senator Eddie Lucio (he’s a Democrat, btw) tripped over a chair trying to get away from questions about his opposition to all forms of birth control.
- When Rep. Jessica Farrar said that political wars can’t be fought on the backs of women.
- When I got to hang out with Jessica Farrar.
- When Evan Smith said “Welcome to Politics Church.” at the beginning of Sunday morning’s session.
- When the room was so packed with people waiting to see Wendy that we had to use bathroom passes to get in and out
- When the Longhorn Band came in and there was a pep-rally for Wendy Davis at the end of the day.
Those are my favorite moments, but I wasn’t at every session. Did I leave something out? Leave a comment to share your favorite moments from Tribune Fest, too!